English | 400 pages | ISBN-10: 0471699764 | PDF | 2.21 Mb
Nanotechnology is revolutionizing the chemical, telecom, biotech, pharmaceutical, health care, aerospace, and computer industries, among others, and many exciting new nanotech applications are envisioned for the near future. While the rapid pace of innovation has been truly inspiring, much remains to be learned about the potential environmental and health risks posed by this nascent technology and its byproducts. So important is this issue that the ultimate success or failure of nanotechnology may well depend on how effectively science and industry address these concerns in the years ahead.
Written by two highly accomplished environmental professionals, Nanotechnology: Environmental Implications and Solutions brings scientists, engineers, and policymakers up to speed on the current state of knowledge in this vitally important area. Professor Theodore and Dr. Kunz provide a concise review of nano-fundamentals and explore background issues surrounding nanotechnology and its environmental impact. They then follow up with in-depth discussions of:
- The control, monitoring, and reduction of nanotech byproducts and their impact on the air, water, and land
- Health risks associated with nanotechnology, and methods to assess and control them
- Nanotech hazard risk assessment-including emergency response planning and personnel training
- Multimedia approaches that are available for the analysis of the impact of nanotechnology in the chemical, manufacturing, and waste disposal industries
- The future of nanotechnology and the "Industrial Revolution II"
- The legal implications of nanotechnology
- Societal and ethical implications of nanotechnology-based materials and processing method
Assuming only a basic knowledge of physics, chemistry, and mathematics on behalf of its readers, Nanotechnology: Environmental Implications and Solutions makes fascinating and useful reading for engineers, scientists, administrators, environmental regulatory officials, and public policy makers, as well as students in a range of science and engineering disciplines.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resumming ability)