Steven C. Seow - Designing and Engineering Time: The Psychology of Time Perception in Software
Published: 2008-05-09 | ISBN: 0321509188 | PDF | 224 pages | 3 MB
Build Applications, Websites, and Software Solutions that Feel Faster, More Efficient, and More Considerate of Users' Time!
One hidden factor powerfully influences the way users react to your software, hardware, User Interfaces (UI), or web applications: how those systems utilize users' time. Now, drawing on the nearly 40 years of human computer interaction research-including his own pioneering work-Dr. Steven Seow presents state-of-the-art best practices for reflecting users' subjective perceptions of time in your applications and hardware.
Seow begins by introducing a simple model that explains how users perceive and expend time as they interact with technology. He offers specific guidance and recommendations related to several key aspects of time and timing-including user tolerance, system responsiveness, progress indicators, completion time estimates, and more. Finally, he brings together proven techniques for impacting users' perception of time drawn from multiple disciplines and industries, ranging from psychology to retail, animal research to entertainment.
* Discover how time and timing powerfully impact user perception, emotions, and behavior
* Systematically make your applications more considerate of users' time
* Avoid common mistakes that consistently frustrate or infuriate users
* Manage user perceptions and tolerance, and build systems that are perceived as faster
* Optimize "flow" to make users feel more productive, empowered, and creative
* Make reasonable and informed tradeoffs that maximize limited development resources
* Learn how to test usability issues related to time-including actual vs. perceived task duration
Designing and Engineering Time is for every technology developer, designer, engineer, architect, usability specialist, manager, and marketer. Using its insights and techniques, technical and non-technical professionals can work together to build systems and applications that provide far more value-and create much happier users.